Curry Lentil Soup, serves 4
2 Tbsp coconut oil (or sub your favorite oil)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger (optional)
2 carrots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
5-6 cups vegetable broth (I use Better Than Bullion, which you can purchase off of Thrive Market)
1 can of Organic lentils (or 1 cup of dried lentils, rinsed)
3 cups chopped kale, spinach, or collard greens
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, followed by the onion and ginger. Cook, stirring consistently, for 3-5 minutes, or until onion becomes translucent.
2. Add in carrots, garlic, potato, curry powder, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir for 5-8 minutes.
3. Add 5 cups of the vegetable broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once a boil is reached, lower heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. (*keep the additional cup of broth on reserve to thin out the soup if needed before you serve)
4. Adjust seasonings as needed.
5. Add kale and cover for 2 minutes.